turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andyloof

How do I deduct the cost of print books sent to fulfill copyright requirements?

By law, I'm required to send two copies of any print book submitted for copyright. Where do I list this? These are not removed for my own personal use but sent to the US Copyright Office and are not returned to me.

Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It's not a deduction.  You presumably have already deducted the cost of printing the books.  Your tax "reduction" for the fact that you did not get revenue for them is the fact that you have less taxable income, therefore you pay less tax.  You can't deduct an item from your income if it was never in your income in the first place.

This principle applies the same to copies you give away to libraries or reviewers, and to copies sold at a discount.  You report whatever your actual income is, whether you sell for full price, half price, or give them away for free.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It's not a deduction.  You presumably have already deducted the cost of printing the books.  Your tax "reduction" for the fact that you did not get revenue for them is the fact that you have less taxable income, therefore you pay less tax.  You can't deduct an item from your income if it was never in your income in the first place.

This principle applies the same to copies you give away to libraries or reviewers, and to copies sold at a discount.  You report whatever your actual income is, whether you sell for full price, half price, or give them away for free.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies