turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

karennomo

I owe money due to amended tax return. cani make payments? they are asking for a check to be made with the amended return. what can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyJ

I owe money due to amended tax return. cani make payments? they are asking for a check to be made with the amended return. what can I do?

It is recommended to pay any balance due by Tuesday, April 17th, 2018, to avoid any penalties and interest.  However, if you are unable to make the payment, you may request an installment agreement.

It usually takes 3 weeks for the amendment to show up in the IRS system and can take up to 16 weeks to be fully processed.  

After mailing in your Form 1040X and waiting a couple of weeks you can apply for a payment plan online at the IRS Payment Plans and Installment Agreements web page.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnthonyJ

It is recommended to pay any balance due by Tuesday, April 17th, 2018, to avoid any penalties and interest.  However, if you are unable to make the payment, you may request an installment agreement.

It usually takes 3 weeks for the amendment to show up in the IRS system and can take up to 16 weeks to be fully processed.  

After mailing in your Form 1040X and waiting a couple of weeks you can apply for a payment plan online at the IRS Payment Plans and Installment Agreements web page.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies