turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kh78732

Just filed for an exstension because I am missing W2 statements. What happens if my exstension request is denied by the IRS?

My concern is it is the night of the the deadline and in the process of preparing my returns, I noticed I have two companies W2's that are missing. These two companies have been notified, but their W2's have not been received yet. If the IRS denies an extension for me, then what happens, do I have to pay a penalty or something?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Just filed for an exstension because I am missing W2 statements. What happens if my exstension request is denied by the IRS?

It is called an "Automatic Extension of time to file" for a reason. If your transmission was accepted, you are OK.

As long as the extension was filed before midnight your time...you are good to go.

If you owe taxes...the interest clock has started on the taxes due. The sooner you pay the less interest charged.

If you get a refund...no worries.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It is called an "Automatic Extension of time to file" for a reason. If your transmission was accepted, you are OK.

As long as the extension was filed before midnight your time...you are good to go.

If you owe taxes...the interest clock has started on the taxes due. The sooner you pay the less interest charged.

If you get a refund...no worries.

cekessel

how do  I get  a form 4868

You don’t need to file Form 4868 if you make a payment using the IRS
electronic payment options. 
You can pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and **indicate that the payment is for an extension** using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or using a credit or debit card. Your extension is then automatically granted and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies