Is there a way to edit (not amend) your tax return? I have not sent it in via mail yet. There is an error in my mailing address and I don't knowhow to change it!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

As long as you have not actually filed (haven't mailed and haven't efiled), you can open the return back up to make any changes.   You can even change the filing method to efile, if you wish.   Why are you mailing instead of efiling?  Normally efiling is best.

In any case, here's how to get back to the interview for your unfiled return.

• Log into your account, and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (That doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return.)

I have to mail because I am living abroad. I have already filed technically but havent printed the form and sent it yet. It seems as though I can't edit the info on the original return 

@rhiannonrockss wrote:

@mesquitebean Answered your question and gave you the information on how to access your tax return .  Where are you having the problem?

@ rhiannonrockss  wrote:   "It seems as though I can't edit the info on the original return."

Or is there more to your story that you haven't stated??  Before you started this thread did you happen to click on "Amend a return" in error and started an amended return by mistake, and now it's generating a Form 1040X?   If so, see this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbota...

If that's what you did, then the method at that link should remove the Form 1040X and go back to a regular Form 1040.  You should review everything carefully, however, to be sure nothing was changed.   If something was changed, then you can manually return it to what it was before, or make any corrections you are wanting to make.

From then on, only use the "Add a State" method to open the return as I described in my initial comment above.

@rhiannonrockss  also wrote: " I have to mail because I am living abroad."

A lot of people living abroad are able to efile.  So that in itself is not a reason to have to mail.  Exactly why are you unable to efile?   What in your return is preventing it?

Is it this?

Did you use the Foreign Income Exclusion and excluded all your income, so you have a zero-income return?   If so, we can tell you what you can do to be able to efile it.

LinaJ2020

Although there are many tax returns being successfully e-filed every year, some returns simply can not be e-filed or keep getting rejected even though there's really nothing wrong with them.  I am providing a list of the possible scenarios which you cannot e-file. 

Click here: 

Reasons you cannot e-file

You are not considered filing your return yet.  For instructions to amend your return, see the post from mesquitebean from above.

@rhiannonrockss

User does not need to amend the return.  It has not been filed.   He/she merely needs to edit something in it.   I left a FAQ above with instructions on how to cancel an amended return if he/she started one accidentally by mistake.

If he/she has a zero-income return, we can tell him/her a workaround to efile it, if desired.