greg-snyders

Is it possible to easily file an amended tax return through TurboTax if I used a CPA/tax preparer for my original return? I just have a single W-2 correction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

easily is a relative term. you would need to enter sufficient data so the TT return has exactly the same numbers as on the filed return.  then you can "amend" the TT one. so if you have a simple return the w-2 change shouldn't be too difficult or time consuming.   however, if it was the preparer that made the mistake you should go back to them to fix the error (for free).   there may also be a TT charge. 

If you did not use TurboTax to prepare your 2019 return, it is possible to amend the return using TurboTax but it will really be a pain.  It would be better to use the software or service used to file originally.  If a paid preparer made a mistake on your tax return, that tax preparer should do the amended return for you at no charge.

In order to use TurboTax to amend your 2019return, you need to purchase the desktop software for 2019 and re-create the return EXACTLY as it appeared when it was filed with the IRS/states.  Every line has to be the same.  Then you have to "trick" the software into thinking you filed by saying you will mail the return. (but do not mail it)   AFTER that, you use the software to prepare a Form 1040X, which has to be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.  It takes the IRS about 3-4 months to process an amended return.