turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it possible for me to amend the most recent federal return to claim myself as independent in order to receive the COVID-19 stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Is it possible for me to amend the most recent federal return to claim myself as independent in order to receive the COVID-19 stimulus check?

It is, but bear in mind that, it must be true that no one was able to claim you on their tax return, regardless of whether or not they actually did claim you.

Please see TurboTax's Everything to help you get your stimulus check as soon as possible page to see if you qualify for a 2020 stimulus check, and how much you might expect.

That said… as of this moment, taxpayers with your scenario have two options:

1. They can file an amended return indicating that they can't be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, or
  2. They can wait to claim the stimulus amount until they file their Tax Year 2020 tax return (i.e., the return they'll file next year), indicating they can't be claimed as a dependent by someone else, and get their stimulus payment as part of their tax refund next year. 

The problem with that first option is that amended returns may take quite some time to process.  According to Paper Tax Returns on the IRS's IRS urges taxpayers to use electronic options; outlines online assistance page, the IRS isn't currently processing mailed paper returns, and amended returns must be filed on paper and mailed. Generally, a mail-in amended return takes 6 weeks to process, but at this point, it is impossible to tell how long it would take. 

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies