turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS wants verification of my fed taxes withheld. I efiled and majority of my income is social security. What is purpose of efiling if they are going to ask for info?

Can't IRS get withholding info from Soc Sec Admin?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

IRS wants verification of my fed taxes withheld. I efiled and majority of my income is social security. What is purpose of efiling if they are going to ask for info?

In some instances, the IRS does not receive copies of all your income forms as they should have, from the issuer.  In that case, they can't really tell what forms are missing in order to verify your tax withheld.  They just need to see your copies to tell what they're missing.  It usually can take up to a year for them to be able to match the income you report to the various sources of that income so it's much faster and easier for you to just send them a copy of anything that showed tax withheld.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

is social security the only income from which you had tax withheld?
Anita01

In some instances, the IRS does not receive copies of all your income forms as they should have, from the issuer.  In that case, they can't really tell what forms are missing in order to verify your tax withheld.  They just need to see your copies to tell what they're missing.  It usually can take up to a year for them to be able to match the income you report to the various sources of that income so it's much faster and easier for you to just send them a copy of anything that showed tax withheld.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies