turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Form 8962

We got a letter from the IRS requesting form 8962 and form 1095-A. Turbotax did not ask for this information while filling out my taxes as in previous years. I called for support about the letter. I was told that I needed more help than Turbotax could provide and to use HRBlock instead.

We have been using this service for over 15 years. It seems they do not appreciate loyalty.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

IRS Form 8962

I'm sorry you had trouble getting help.  Your phone Support experience is odd.  We've reported it to a Moderator to investigate further.  

This topic about a missing Form 8962 is not uncommon each year when a filer doesn't report a 1095-A, and TurboTax even has a FAQ on it, which I've included below.

What tax year is your letter concerning?  You didn't say.  Was your letter for a recent 2019 return?   The program should ask about that 1095-A topic (Affordable Care Act) when one goes through the Medical interview topic, which for 2019 is under the Deductions & Credits section.  We could have told you in this user forum how to quickly and directly go to the Form 1095-A interview before you filed, but that's a moot point now. 

If you received a letter from the IRS concerning your recent 2019 return and asking for the Form 8962 and a copy of Form 1095-A, here's a FAQ on how to enter and produce what the IRS wants.  Read through it carefully and be sure you understand it.   You may wish to print out the FAQ to more easily use as a guide.

The method is quite a bit different in the Online version as opposed to the desktop software.  I don't know which product you used, but the FAQ has links to the instructions for both versions.

FAQ:  The IRS is requesting Form 8962

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/00/27409

IRS Form 8962

ADDENDUM:

I just noticed that in that FAQ there is an error in the navigation instructions once you are back in your return.  For 2019, there is no longer a "Health Insurance tab" described in that FAQ.   While there was such a tab in previous years, for 2019, they put that topic under Deductions & Credits, then tax-break category Medical, then subtopic Affordable Healthcare Act (1095-A.)   That may be another reason that you didn't run across it.

I've reported that to TurboTax and, hopefully, they will update that FAQ and correct the outdated navigation instruction soon.

If you have any trouble finding the 1095-A section when you're back in your return, we can also tell you shortcut methods to get there using the Search tab at the top of your return's screen.

Carolier

IRS Form 8962

My son used TurboTax online for tax year 2019, and it never directed him to fill out form 8962, even though he indicated in the walk-through that he had insurance coverage through Covered CA. Now he has a large bill from the IRS; he went back to fill out form 8962 and TurboTax wants to charge him $50 to print out the form, because he didn't have "premium" version. What gives?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

IRS Form 8962

Please contact customer service for any billing issues, concerns or questions. You can start by clicking on Contact Us.  Answering the questions will help to ensure that your call is properly routed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRS Form 8962

@Carolier wrote:

My son used TurboTax online for tax year 2019, and it never directed him to fill out form 8962, even though he indicated in the walk-through that he had insurance coverage through Covered CA. Now he has a large bill from the IRS; he went back to fill out form 8962 and TurboTax wants to charge him $50 to print out the form, because he didn't have "premium" version. What gives?

In California, "Premium Services" is the optional feature that allows one to pay one's TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund (for an additional $45 service fee.)  It is a bundle that also includes other benefits, such as Audit Defense, ID protection/monitoring, etc.   Premium Services doesn't come into play if one pays any fees upfront with credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card.   It's only when one chooses to pay fees out of the Federal refund that it is added.

I don't know what product your son used originally and whether he had any fees originally or not.  i.e. did he start out in Free Edition, and now has somehow ended up in PLUS or  Deluxe?  There must have been some fee for "something" or "Premium Services" (with a $45 service fee) would not have been offered as a payment method.

So it's not clear what all is going on.  I'll tell you how to phone TurboTax Support below to troubleshoot with you.   But first, check your fees this way:

• Once the return is open, go to the left menu column and click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window, choose MY FEES.
  • See what products and services are displayed there.

Here's how to get a number to phone TurboTax Support for further assistance with any fee/billing issues.  They are open another 3 hours tonight.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

IRS Form 8962

Same thing happened to me, now turbo tax wants to debit my account for their fees instead of waiting for my return.

Have you gotten your return back?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

IRS Form 8962

When you agreed to the refund processing service, you agreed that if you did not receive your refund within a specified time period, your account would be debited for the price of your tax preparation fees. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies