turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS didn't get my 1040ES payment - amend?

The IRS didn't get one of my 1040ES payments for $Big.  (I can't be sure whether I sent it and it got lost, or I never sent it).  So they reduced my refund by $Big.  Fair enough.

I need to amend my return for other reasons, increasing my refund by $Small.  Do I also amend how much I sent in estimated payments?  Seems like I should so that my forms come out right for the future.  But if I do, then the 1040x says that I need to send them that ($Big - $Small) on line 29 instead of them sending me $Small on line 22.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you also amend how much you sent in estimated payments.  You do need to send them that  amount ($Big - $Small).

Why would I need to send them  ($Big - $Small)?  I've basically already sent them $Big by virtue of them reducing my refund by that amount.  So if I amend the 1040ES on the form, I would imagine that I don't send them anything and wait for them to figure out to send me $Small.  But that seems strange.  I suppose I could write this all out in the free-form explanatory text. 

Ok ... before you amend the return you MUST make the same changes the IRS made so the return matches what they have on file (column A of the 1040X must have the IRS corrected amounts)  ... this will cure your concerns on the bottom line.   Only then can you start the amendment process ... log out then choose the amendment option when you log in again and make the changes you have to make. 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return(or an IRS corrected return), Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to "correct" my return in TurboTax Home and Business that took into account the fact that the refund as stated on my e-filed 1040 was different than what the IRS corrected.

What I *did* find, was 1040X line 18 "Overpayment, if any, as shown on original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS".  So I updated the overpayment as adjusted by the IRS and then it all came out the way I was expecting.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies