turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2019 I lived in NY, worked in NC, but was paid by an agency in KS. When I filed my taxes I only paid state taxes in NY. Can I amend my state taxes in Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

In 2019 I lived in NY, worked in NC, but was paid by an agency in KS. When I filed my taxes I only paid state taxes in NY. Can I amend my state taxes in Turbotax?

Yes you may.  I'll provide a link with instructions to do so.  But you also will need to know what to amend.  Here's the state returns you will need to file:

• North Carolina.  You will not need to file an amended return for North Carolina, but rather an original non-resident return.
  • Kansas.  You will not file any return for Kansas.  It is not relevant that the company who paid you is located in Kansas.  Your income is not taxable there unless you are working there.
  • New York.  You will file a New York amended resident return.  New York will give you a credit for tax you pay to North Carolina for income earned there, so you will need to prepare and file an amended return to claim this.

To prepare state amended returns, please follow the following instructions:  How do I amend a prior-year state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes you may.  I'll provide a link with instructions to do so.  But you also will need to know what to amend.  Here's the state returns you will need to file:

• North Carolina.  You will not need to file an amended return for North Carolina, but rather an original non-resident return.
  • Kansas.  You will not file any return for Kansas.  It is not relevant that the company who paid you is located in Kansas.  Your income is not taxable there unless you are working there.
  • New York.  You will file a New York amended resident return.  New York will give you a credit for tax you pay to North Carolina for income earned there, so you will need to prepare and file an amended return to claim this.

To prepare state amended returns, please follow the following instructions:  How do I amend a prior-year state return?

Thank you!  

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.  We're here to help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies