ashish-bhalerao

Im on F1visa I've just filed tax by turbotax & it also got accepted But I just got to know that F1studs should fill 1040 which I didnt Hows my return got accepted by IRS

LinaJ2018

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States.  In your situation, you are a nonresident for the year 2016-2020.  

As TurboTax does not support any of the nonresident tax forms, you are recommended to use our affiliated partner, Sprintax to fill out a Form 1040-NR.  To amend from Form 1040 to 1040NR, here are the steps:

You would need to submit both the Form 1040-X and Form 1040NR together:

1. Download the Form 1040-X from the IRS website (see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
  2. Do not enter any other information on page 1.  
  3. Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  4. Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.
  5. Complete a new or corrected Form 1040-NR.  As TurboTax does not support nonresident forms, click here Sprintax.
  6. Across the top of Form 1040-NR, write “Amended”
  7. Attach the new or corrected return (Form 1040NR) to the back of Form 1040-X.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf, page 7 under Residents and Nonresidents

mesquitebean

TurboTax can prepare returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."   It cannot prepare non-resident alien returns Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.   So first it's necessary to know if you qualify to use TurboTax or not; i.e., if you are classified as a resident alien or a non-resident alien.

So you are here on an F1 student visa?   Since when have you been in the USA (all dates)?
ashish-bhalerao

Yeah I’m on F1 visa. I’m here since August 2016.
ashish-bhalerao

I didn’t know that it’s not for F1 students. My questions are
How does my tax return got accepted by IRS even if I didn’t fill 1040NR form?
Now what should I do to correct this mess?
mesquitebean

It's not based solely on the visa type but the length of presence in the USA as well.   I'm not a tax expert, so I'm going to ask an expert familiar with international filing to help you assess your situation and further guide you on this.  I'm not sure when that will be, but hopefully tonight.  

@bine22   Are you able to assist this F1 student international filer when you are next in the forum?  Thanks.
ashish-bhalerao

Thank you sir
Waiting for replies
TaxGuyBill

As epo pointed out, you are a Nonresident Alien (but if you are married to a US Citizen or tax-Resident, there may be an election you can make).

That means your tax return is wrong.  The IRS doesn't immediately know it is wrong, which is why it was accepted.

Although you could manually do things (a 1040NR with an 1040X), I would recommend going to a tax professional that is EXPERIENCED with Nonresident Aliens.
ashish-bhalerao

Thank you TaxGuyBill
I will definitely see a tax expert
But is it a big mistake I made?
TaxGuyBill

A lot of people make that mistake (TurboTax does not ask you the proper questions to verify if you can use TurboTax or not), but it can be easily fixed by a tax professional (the tax professional will prepare the correct tax return, along with another form to amend the wrong tax return).

It is likely that your refund will be reduced (or the amount that you owe will be larger) when you amend.
ashish-bhalerao

Thanks people
That really helped me
mesquitebean

You're welcome.  Good luck.
Thanks, TaxGuyBill.
LinaJ2018

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~