turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

barbss4

My daughter had to amend her tax return because she put her 1098-T on her return. When and how should I file my taxes? I will be claiming her and the 1098-T

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaR

My daughter had to amend her tax return because she put her 1098-T on her return. When and how should I file my taxes? I will be claiming her and the 1098-T

If your daughter's tax return was e-filed, you will need to print, sign, and mail your tax return to the IRS.  

To prevent fraudulent returns, the IRS will only accept each dependent's SSN once in their e-file system. Because your daughter filed first and used your her SSN, no further e-files using that SSN will be accepted

Your tax return will be accepted if you paper file.

When amending your daughter's tax return, did she answer the statement 'Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return' as Yes?  This is very important.  

Here is more info about amended tax returns:

You will need to wait until your original tax return is processed by the IRS before filing an amended return. If you are receiving a refund, you should wait until the check is issued or you receive your direct deposit.   

Please note that 1040-X cannot be e-filed - you will need to mail a paper return.  It takes the IRS at least 2 - 3 months (and sometime up to 6 months) to process amended returns.  Also, depending on whether the changes affect your numbers, you may also be required to file an amended return with your state.  

The mailing address for your amended tax form 1040Xcan be found at Where to File Addresses for Taxpayers and Tax Professionals Filing Form 1040X

Manage cookies