turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change bank account information

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
Heather14

If you have not already e-filed your tax return you can see the following TurboTax FAQ for information on how to get to the area of your return to enter/change your bank account information.  Once you are in the area of your return to make changes to your bank account information, you can see the steps listed below to help you change any information that may already be auto-filled in your return. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4083015

•  If you want to change or edit the banking information that is shown, make sure that the box stating "I want my refund deposited into this account" is unchecked.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Continue.
  • You will be taken to a new screen titled, "Let's get your bank account info". 
  • This will allow you to enter the new or updated banking information that is to be used for your 2016 direct deposit.

The bank card and account that I used has changed my stimulus check will be going to the card that's on file this is why I need to update my information

You cannot change banking information until you are ready to file your 2020 return and are in the FILE section.  That information does not go from TurboTax to the IRS until you file your 2020 tax return.   If a refund or stimulus check goes to a wrong or closed account the bank sends it back to the IRS and the IRS mails a check to the address on your most recent tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So if the account I have on record isn't allowing money in they will send me a paper check instead?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, If the information you provided is for a closed or invalid account the government will mail you a check. It will delay the process as the bank will first need to reject the funds and then the check will be issued.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Arce9

Como cambio mu cuenta de banco

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Arce9  Para cambiar su información bancaria en el programa, vea este enlace:  ¿Qué ocurre si la cuenta bancaria que ingresé para el depósito directo está incorrecta?

I have updated the bank info but I keep getting messages saying it needs to be updated

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@Trenanewman

This original thread is from 2019. Would you please clarify where you are trying to update your bank information and how you are receiving a message that it needs to be updated?

I want my refund deposited into a new Bank account

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Cgrossjr0806 As long as you have not filed your 2020 tax return, you can update your direct deposit information by following the steps in this TurboTax FAQ: How do I change my transferred direct deposit information?

LynneBurt

I want to change bank info

@LynneBurt

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Paperboy
Returning Member

I never made this change. Some one has changed it without my knowledge

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies