turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ar7111994

I already submitted my tax return for school/work, But 2 things I forgot to add was what I paid for the classes them selves and parking. Can I add those in still? amend?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathyB

I already submitted my tax return for school/work, But 2 things I forgot to add was what I paid for the classes them selves and parking. Can I add those in still? amend?

If you have already submitted your return for filing, your return will be in in Pending status in TurboTax until the IRS begins accepting returns on January 29th. If your return is in Pending status, you will not be able to make any changes to what you have already submitted. Wait until your return is Accepted or Rejected by the IRS. If it is Accepted, you will then be able to Amend your return. If it is Rejected, you will be able to go back into your return and make changes - including adding education expenses. Below is additional information regarding filing an amended return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4231268

With regards to the adding the cost of the classes and parking, the cost of the classes may be considered a Qualified Education Expense per IRS but parking may not. To learn more about Qualified Education Expenses, please visit the IRS website at this link:  IRS – Qualified Education Expenses

If your expenses are qualified education expenses and you will need to amend your return, you can also go through the TurboTax section of Deductions & Credits > be sure to click on the option to see all tax breaks > Education > Expenses and Scholarships. Based on your responses to the interview in that section, TurboTax will help you determine if your expenses qualify for deductions and credits.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CathyB

If you have already submitted your return for filing, your return will be in in Pending status in TurboTax until the IRS begins accepting returns on January 29th. If your return is in Pending status, you will not be able to make any changes to what you have already submitted. Wait until your return is Accepted or Rejected by the IRS. If it is Accepted, you will then be able to Amend your return. If it is Rejected, you will be able to go back into your return and make changes - including adding education expenses. Below is additional information regarding filing an amended return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4231268

With regards to the adding the cost of the classes and parking, the cost of the classes may be considered a Qualified Education Expense per IRS but parking may not. To learn more about Qualified Education Expenses, please visit the IRS website at this link:  IRS – Qualified Education Expenses

If your expenses are qualified education expenses and you will need to amend your return, you can also go through the TurboTax section of Deductions & Credits > be sure to click on the option to see all tax breaks > Education > Expenses and Scholarships. Based on your responses to the interview in that section, TurboTax will help you determine if your expenses qualify for deductions and credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies