turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can i amend my taxes so someone else can claim me as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Heather14

If you have already filed your return, and it was accepted: You will need to amend your return, once it has been accepted and any refund due has been paid out.  Then, you will go back into your return (following the amend instructions) and find your name in the Personal Info section. Click to edit beside your name. On the following screen near the bottom, you will find the area to click that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else. I will attach a screenshot of that area, so you are better able to locate it.  

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2015 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

You will follow the steps listed below to indicate that you are not being claimed by someone else:

•  Follow the amend instructions to get into your return
  •  Once in your return. click on Personal Info and locate your name
  •  Click to edit beside your name. 
  •  On the following screen near the bottom, you will find the area to click to indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else. I will attach a screenshot of that area, so you are better able to locate it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Heather14

If you have already filed your return, and it was accepted: You will need to amend your return, once it has been accepted and any refund due has been paid out.  Then, you will go back into your return (following the amend instructions) and find your name in the Personal Info section. Click to edit beside your name. On the following screen near the bottom, you will find the area to click that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else. I will attach a screenshot of that area, so you are better able to locate it.  

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2015 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

You will follow the steps listed below to indicate that you are not being claimed by someone else:

•  Follow the amend instructions to get into your return
  •  Once in your return. click on Personal Info and locate your name
  •  Click to edit beside your name. 
  •  On the following screen near the bottom, you will find the area to click to indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else. I will attach a screenshot of that area, so you are better able to locate it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies