turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bren4403

How can I stop the e-filing of my federal return? I already filed that one with another program?

I e-filed my federal return with another program and only wanted Turbotax to e-file my state.  How will this work when the government gets my federal again?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

How can I stop the e-filing of my federal return? I already filed that one with another program?

If you filed your federal return already with a different program and accidentally tried to file your federal with TurboTax again all that will happen is that the 2nd return send (with TurboTax) will get rejected by the IRS. The IRS only accepts the first return with the same SSN and name, it doesn't accept a second return. The first return will get processed as usual. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

If you filed your federal return already with a different program and accidentally tried to file your federal with TurboTax again all that will happen is that the 2nd return send (with TurboTax) will get rejected by the IRS. The IRS only accepts the first return with the same SSN and name, it doesn't accept a second return. The first return will get processed as usual. 

AND you cannot e-file a state return unless your federal return is successfully e-filed and accepted.  So using TurboTax for this is not going to work out for you unless you print, sign and mail the state return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies