Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I modify line 65 of 1040 before I file? The IRS sent me a letter which made my 2016 1040 different. I need to fix line 65 or maybe just start over.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I modify line 65 of 1040 before I file? The IRS sent me a letter which made my 2016 1040 different. I need to fix line 65 or maybe just start over.

If you are saying that you need to change the amount of refund that was applied from 2016 to your 2017 estimated taxes on your current return, then -

You will need to enter it in the Estimated and Other Income Taxes section of the program.  You can find the section by clicking on the following tabs:

• Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click “Ill Choose what to work on” or "Show All" or "Check for More Credits" to get full list to appear
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Scroll down to Other Income taxes
  • Answer Yes
  • Scroll down to 2016 Refund Applied to 2017
  • Enter your new refund amount

If using online, you can also log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (must click this first before the search or you won’t get the jump to link).  Then, click the search icon (top right corner magnifying glass) and search for "refund applied to this year" and click the "jump to" link that appears.

If you are using the desktop program, then you can perform the same search as above but you would do so using the search topics function in your program.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are saying that you need to change the amount of refund that was applied from 2016 to your 2017 estimated taxes on your current return, then -

You will need to enter it in the Estimated and Other Income Taxes section of the program.  You can find the section by clicking on the following tabs:

• Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click “Ill Choose what to work on” or "Show All" or "Check for More Credits" to get full list to appear
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Scroll down to Other Income taxes
  • Answer Yes
  • Scroll down to 2016 Refund Applied to 2017
  • Enter your new refund amount

If using online, you can also log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (must click this first before the search or you won’t get the jump to link).  Then, click the search icon (top right corner magnifying glass) and search for "refund applied to this year" and click the "jump to" link that appears.

If you are using the desktop program, then you can perform the same search as above but you would do so using the search topics function in your program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies