turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't file, need to amend.

I can't file my taxes. My SO filed jointly by mistake. How can I fix this issue so I can file my own taxes? His already got accepted.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you say "SO" you mean someone to whom you are not legally married?  You are not allowed to file a joint return unless you are legally married, so it is SO who has to file an amended return--not you. SO will have to amend once his/her return is fully processed and he has received his refund. He will have to prepare a 1040X in order to do that.

You can file as single or HOH (if you are the one claiming the children).  Since SO has already put your Social Security number into the system for 2017, you will not be able to e-file now.  You will have to print, sign and mail your tax return instead.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Do I need to wait for his amend to be accepted before I can file?

When you say "SO" you mean someone to whom you are not legally married?  You are not allowed to file a joint return unless you are legally married, so it is SO who has to file an amended return--not you. SO will have to amend once his/her return is fully processed and he has received his refund. He will have to prepare a 1040X in order to do that.

You can file as single or HOH (if you are the one claiming the children).  Since SO has already put your Social Security number into the system for 2017, you will not be able to e-file now.  You will have to print, sign and mail your tax return instead.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do I need to wait for his amend to be accepted before I can file?

No, you do not have to wait for SO's amended return--you can go ahead and mail your own return. When you mail your tax return, wait about 4 weeks and then check the IRS site:  
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds">https://www.irs.gov/refunds</a>
AlisonLO

If you already submitted you returns then you will need to wait and see if your return is accepted or rejected by the IRS.

If your return is rejected, then you can just go back and fix the errors

Use this link to learn why your return was rejected and how to fix it.

Click on each step for instructions on how to make corrections and re-file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901491-how-do-i-fix-a-rejected-return

If your return was accepted, then you can file an amendment.

If you need to file an amended return, you should use Form 1040X. For 2017 returns, instructions will be available in late January or early February 2018. You will have to mail in the amended Use this link to learn where to mail your 1040X: https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies