turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband filed a schedule c for 2016, but netted less than $400 in 2017. Does he still have to file taxes?

He is retired and made no other income. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband filed a schedule c for 2016, but netted less than $400 in 2017. Does he still have to file taxes?

If self-employment income was less than $400, no, he won't need to file. He'd only file a return if the below requirements are met. 

However, if you are Married filing Jointly, you would receive the personal exemption for him on your joint return. 

And if Married filing Separate, there is a possibility you may be able to claim your spouse’s personal exemption in that case. See details here Can I claim myself or my spouse as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302274

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If self-employment income was less than $400, no, he won't need to file. He'd only file a return if the below requirements are met. 

However, if you are Married filing Jointly, you would receive the personal exemption for him on your joint return. 

And if Married filing Separate, there is a possibility you may be able to claim your spouse’s personal exemption in that case. See details here Can I claim myself or my spouse as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302274

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies