turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i meesed up amd filed 2017 W2s with this years taxes..will my refund be held?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonC1

If i meesed up amd filed 2017 W2s with this years taxes..will my refund be held?

Likely yes, this situation will cause a delay in your refund. The IRS get a copy of all W-2s.  So, when your employer sends a copy of your W-2 to you, they also send a copy to the IRS.  If you put 2017's W-2s on your 2018 tax return, you sent bad information to the IRS.  When they go to match what you sent with what they have, it is not going to match.  This will likely trigger IRS attention to your return.

I say likely because there is no direct IRS guidance on this issue.  Once you submit the tax return to the IRS, no one from outside the IRS can tell you what is happening with your return except the IRS.  

You will need to amend your tax return.  Most instructions on amending your return tell you to wait until the original tax return has been processed.  You should not since you know why yours is not being process.  

The amend form (IRS 1040-X) will be available on TurboTax in early March.  Amending is a simple process in TurboTax.  I will provide instructions below.

This article shows you how to amend your 2018 tax returns prepared in TurboTax.  If you used the desktop version of TurboTax, skip to step 6.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SharonC1

Likely yes, this situation will cause a delay in your refund. The IRS get a copy of all W-2s.  So, when your employer sends a copy of your W-2 to you, they also send a copy to the IRS.  If you put 2017's W-2s on your 2018 tax return, you sent bad information to the IRS.  When they go to match what you sent with what they have, it is not going to match.  This will likely trigger IRS attention to your return.

I say likely because there is no direct IRS guidance on this issue.  Once you submit the tax return to the IRS, no one from outside the IRS can tell you what is happening with your return except the IRS.  

You will need to amend your tax return.  Most instructions on amending your return tell you to wait until the original tax return has been processed.  You should not since you know why yours is not being process.  

The amend form (IRS 1040-X) will be available on TurboTax in early March.  Amending is a simple process in TurboTax.  I will provide instructions below.

This article shows you how to amend your 2018 tax returns prepared in TurboTax.  If you used the desktop version of TurboTax, skip to step 6.

Manage cookies