Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I just correct my federal stimulus amount received from $1,200 to $600, why do you see 2 CA errors & ask me to check a reason for amending California return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I just correct my federal stimulus amount received from $1,200 to $600, why do you see 2 CA errors & ask me to check a reason for amending California return?

Could the error be that I said I owed $13 for untaxed internet purchase, and paid $13, but I had a $60 non-refundable renters credit?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify your question please?

It sounds like you are amending your federal return to show that you only received $600 in stimulus payments instead of $1,200?  If that is correct, you will need to review your original return as filed to ensure the Recovery Rebate Credit was not already calculated on your return as originally filed.  

You will need to look at your Form 1040.  If you claimed the Recovery Rebate credit, it will show up on Page 2, line 30 of your Form 1040 as the Recovery rebate credit.  See the sample form below.

Recovery Rebate

If there is an amount on line 30, do not file an amended return.  The IRS will be reviewing the returns that calculated this credit and will make any necessary corrections.

If there is not an amount on line 30, go ahead and file the amended return to claim the credit.

Correcting Recovery Rebate Credits on returns already filed

As for California, it is hard to tell what happened there as we cannot see your tax return since this is a public forum.  I would recommend reviewing your return as originally filed to determine if you can see if anything else changed.  If your only reason for amending was for the federal Recovery Rebate Credit, you should not need to amend your state return as the credit would not have affected any of the amounts that flow in from your federal return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies