If I have to attach an information statement, would it be better to efile first and then later file an amended return with the attachment?

Reason I am asking this is to minimize the amount of paper I need to mail to the IRS.  Seems like the required information statement is required to be on file with the IRS, but paper mailing the entire return is more work than necessary.  If I wait for the e-filed return to complete and then later this year file an amended return, the process would be simpler with less paper to put into the mail.

Is this a reasonable approach?

When you do an Amended return you will have a printed 1040X along with a corrected 1040 attached, which is more paperwork than it would have been if you paper filed the original return.

Also any documents with taxes withheld must be attached in addition to other attachment requirements.

TurboTax will tell you when the return is printed what needs to be attached.

What is the information statement you are going to attach?

The statement is regarding changes to a Benefit Restoration Plan for a non-qualified pension.  The statement is regarding changes made to bring the plan into compliance with section 409A.  The IRS Correction Program allows this plan change to avoid additional taxes and penalties to be assessed due to the original plan failure.
If filing an amended return is actually more paperwork than an original paper filing, we will just go ahead and do that.  I was under the impression that an amended return was simpler than filing the original return (e.g. no W-2 attachments, etc.).

Amended returns always have to be printed, signed date and mailed in with all the necessary attachments.
So while not over complicated it will not solve your issue.  

I will post a very short answer so others know your issue is taken care of. Thank you.

Thank you!

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing