turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I had to amend my taxes and file a 1095 A, am I required to print and mail my amended taxes or can I still E-File?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

If I had to amend my taxes and file a 1095 A, am I required to print and mail my amended taxes or can I still E-File?

You will need to mail your amended return; you can not e-file it.  You need only attach the forms that support the changes that you've made to your tax return as reflected on the 1040-X. 

It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.  Three weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site.

[Edited 3/04/18 | 2:51pm]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

You will need to mail your amended return; you can not e-file it.  You need only attach the forms that support the changes that you've made to your tax return as reflected on the 1040-X. 

It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.  Three weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site.

[Edited 3/04/18 | 2:51pm]

TomK
Expert Alumni

Please see updated answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies