If I amend my tax return so I'm not a dependent, a...

If I amend my tax return so I'm not a dependent, and amend my parent's, will they get in trouble? I was put as a dependent when I wasn't.

I didn't live with my mother for most of the year, but she still claimed me as a dependent and told me to do the same, as I am 21 and a full-time college student. I work part-time and live with my boyfriend. I don't want her to get in trouble, but I also want the stimulus checks, as they would really help with my school expenses. Also, will me filing "single" rather than dependent in the future impact my school's financial aid?

No, your mother won't get in trouble, but removing you as a dependent on her return may cost her additional tax.  Be sure to include a note with the amended returns explaining that you are no longer a dependent on her return.

Since the stimulus payments are already  being processed, you can make an adjustment on your 2020 tax return for stimulus payments you qualify for, but have not received. 

To do this in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Enter the information in your return.
  2. Click Federal Review at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen, Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to.  This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

You should check with your school's financial aid office to see if not being a dependent affects your financial aid.

Thank you! Do I have to make the amends before I make the adjustment for the 2020 tax return?