didaaam

If I amend my tax return and the irs still hasn’t approved it yet, will it affect when I receive my refund?

AmyW

No, since amended returns must be filed by mail you will first receive your original refund, It is highly recommended to wait until you have received your refund before amending so that the amended return will reflect the correct amounts.

First, you will want to wait until your tax return is accepted or rejected. If it is rejected, then you can go in and fix the mistake. If accepted, then you will want to wait until your original tax return is processed by the IRS. If you are receiving a refund, you should wait until the check is issued. Amended returns must be filed by mail. 

If you want to amend a 2017 return, follow the steps in the article below: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6603004