Solved: I work remotely in WA (residence) for a company based in OR. I've paid OR state tax for 2018, but didn't actually work in OR at all. Can I get this money back?

I work remotely in WA (residence) for a company based in OR. I've paid OR state tax for 2018, but didn't actually work in OR at all. Can I get this money back?

Yes, you should be able to.  While some states tax a telecommuter who works remotely for a company located in their state as also working inside of the state, Oregon is not one of these.  In your situation, you will need to file an Oregon nonresident return and make sure the income reported is zero (override the W-2 entry).  Doing this will likely require you to mail in your return, and explain why you are taking that position.  Be sure you have evidence to support it should Oregon ask (for example:  a contract or agreement showing your remote work arrangement).

In addition, you do well to advise your company to stop withholding Oregon tax, so that you do not have to file this in the future.

Thank you that helps a lot!

You're welcome.