turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work remotely in WA (residence) for a company based in OR. I've paid OR state tax for 2018, but didn't actually work in OR at all. Can I get this money back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I work remotely in WA (residence) for a company based in OR. I've paid OR state tax for 2018, but didn't actually work in OR at all. Can I get this money back?

Yes, you should be able to.  While some states tax a telecommuter who works remotely for a company located in their state as also working inside of the state, Oregon is not one of these.  In your situation, you will need to file an Oregon nonresident return and make sure the income reported is zero (override the W-2 entry).  Doing this will likely require you to mail in your return, and explain why you are taking that position.  Be sure you have evidence to support it should Oregon ask (for example:  a contract or agreement showing your remote work arrangement).

In addition, you do well to advise your company to stop withholding Oregon tax, so that you do not have to file this in the future.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should be able to.  While some states tax a telecommuter who works remotely for a company located in their state as also working inside of the state, Oregon is not one of these.  In your situation, you will need to file an Oregon nonresident return and make sure the income reported is zero (override the W-2 entry).  Doing this will likely require you to mail in your return, and explain why you are taking that position.  Be sure you have evidence to support it should Oregon ask (for example:  a contract or agreement showing your remote work arrangement).

In addition, you do well to advise your company to stop withholding Oregon tax, so that you do not have to file this in the future.

Thank you that helps a lot!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies