turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dkd0303

I was overpaid for unemployment in 2014. The state garnished my wages in 2015 and 2016. Is there a way to document this on my taxes for 2016?

I was overpaid unemployment in 2014 which the state has been garnishing from my wages in 2015 and 2016.  Since I received that money in 2014 included it in my taxes in 2014, is there a way to document to paying back of the overpayment this year?  Does it lower my adjusted gross income or is there a way to take a credit or deduction for it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I was overpaid for unemployment in 2014. The state garnished my wages in 2015 and 2016. Is there a way to document this on my taxes for 2016?

How much did you repay in each of those years ?
dkd0303

We paid back just over 3,000 lat year and I think about 6-7000 this year.

Was the unemployment considered taxable income?
dkd0303

I think so.  My wife says they included it in her gross for the year

Assuming the unemployment compensation was taxed...

You will need to amend your 2015 income tax return.  You'll also need to amend your 2016 income tax return.

You will file for a refund under a concept called "claim of rights."

If during the year you repaid less than $3,000 you deduct the repayment as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040) on your 2015 income tax return.  Since you paid more that $3,000 in both years you might think this doesn't apply to you, but it might, so read on.

If during the year you repaid more than $3,000 you can also deduct this on Schedule A but, alternatively, you can take a tax credit for the year of repayment, whichever provides the most benefit. 

In order to claim a credit you'd need to be able to re-figure your 2014 income taxes without those overpayments payment included.   You then claim the difference between what you actually paid in taxes that year and what you should have paid in taxes without the overpayments, and claim that amount as an income tax credits on your 2015 and 2016 Forms 1040. 

You'd have to do this in two stages: 1st with the "just over $3,000" paid in 2015 omitted as income in 2014, noting how your taxes changed, and claiming the differential as a credit in 2015.    And then again, omitting the remaining "$6-7000 this year" amount, noting how the taxes changed, and claiming that change as a credit in 2016.

So, you have two methods you could use for handling the repayment in your taxes:

Method 1 - Itemized Deduction

Figure the tax for the relevant tax year, (2014 and 2015), claiming a deduction for the repaid amounts in each year.  Repaid unemployment benefits must be deducted as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.

Method 2 - Credit for prior year taxes paid

Figure the tax for the current year claiming a credit for the repaid amount following these steps.

1. Figure the tax for the "current year" (first 2015, then 2016) without deducting the repaid amount.
  2. Refigure the tax from the earlier year (2014) without including in income the amount  repaid during the "current year" (2015/2016).
  3. Subtract the tax in (2) from the tax shown on the income tax return for the earlier year. (A two step process for you, as explained above.)  This is the credit.
  4. Subtract the answer in step 3 from the tax for the "current year" (2015/2016) figured in (1).

If method 1 results in less tax, deduct the amount repaid.  If method 2 results in less tax, claim the credit figured in (3) above on Form 1040, line 70, and enter “I.R.C. 1341” in the column to the right of line 70.  (Though you can always take the "easy way out" and simply deduct the amount repaid in each year as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.  This won't give you the best tax outcome, however.)

The IRS discussion about claim of rights is here: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch12.html#en_US_2015_publink1000172015

If you intend to claim the credit I believe you will have to use the "desktop" version of TurboTax, switch to "Forms mode" and manually input the amount on the face of the Form 1040 in the "Other Credits and Payments Smart Worksheet"  that's between lines 72 and 73 on the Form.

OR

If you take the deduction go to the "Deductions & Credits" section of TurboTax and scroll way down the page to the "Other deductible expenses" interview.  That's where the claim of rights deduction is entered.

Too, in order to "refigure" you 2014 income taxes "as if" you hadn't included the overpaid amounts that's easiest done using a 2014 desktop version of TurboTax, though you could also try redoing your income taxes manually

Tom Young

dkd0303

Some of the repayment is interest which I don't think we can claim.  Last year, I think it was less than 3000 so we claimed it as a miscellaneous dedudction.  This year it will be over 3000 so I'm thinking we need to do the adjustment from the taxes in 2014.  In that sense, my wife got a refund in 2014, so how would we calculate what amount we should claim this year.  Is it just a straight adding of the amount paid or do we have to try to recalculate the 2014 taxes?  That might be more difficult

"Some of the repayment is interest which I don't think we can claim."

That's right.

No you do have to recalculate the taxes.  If the refund was $1,500 and after recalculating the taxes the refund went to $3.200 you'd know you have a $1,700 tax credit for this year.  I don't think there's anything to prevent you from also amending the 2015 income tax return, dropping the itemized deduction and taking the credit.

One of the (several) big advantages of using a desktop version of TurboTax is that your tax file and the program are right at your fingertips, making the "as if" calculation a snap.
dkd0303

After reading your response and checking the link you provided to the IRS publication, I think we are going to have to do something for the 2015 return.  I checked our paperwork for 2015, and Turbo Tax did not include the compensation for the repayment anywhere and I think I know why.  I had it listed as an itemized reduction on Schedule A, but when Turbo Tax did it's calculations, it determined that the standard deduction was better for us, so it did not count it at all.  So my understanding is I would need to amend my 2015 tax return and, using Method 2, calculate the difference and claim it on line 73 as a credit.  Do I still use the "I.R.C 1341"?

And for this year, we would calculate the difference also using the 2014 return and what repayments were made this year and also claim that on line 73 of the current return?

This is all very confusing so I do appreciate the help.  Thanks.

I think you are understanding everything.  Both years you'll take a credit under the "claim of rights" doctrine and the credit in both cases will be referenced as IRC1341.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies