turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've left some things off my taxes and want to start over. Any way I can do that now that I've submitted my taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've left some things off my taxes and want to start over. Any way I can do that now that I've submitted my taxes.

Oh no.  Well, now you just have to wait.  The IRS will not even begin to accept or reject 2018 returns until January 28.  Since you e-filed it, it is just sitting on a server, and you cannot do one thing to fix your mistake.  You cannot cancel it, stop it, or change it.

If you get lucky and they reject your return, you will be able to correct your mistake and re-submit it with the corrections.  If it is accepted, then your real wait begins.  You will have to wait until it is fully processed--which will take at least a month, then you will have to prepare an amended return called a 1040X which you print, sign and mail to the IRS.  It cannot be e-filed.  It takes the IRS about 4 months to process an amended return.  IF you are getting a refund from that amended return, they will mail a check (no direct deposits for amended returns).

Meanwhile, do NOT try to change anything on your tax return.  If you do, you will make a big mess for yourself and it will be even harder to sort out.  Sit tight and see what the IRS does with your return in a few weeks.  Post back here for help when you know whether it was accepted or rejected.  You will get an email after January 28 telling you if your return was accepted or rejected.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  Does your account say “pending?”  What does it say here:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...>
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4169486-can-i-change-my-return-if-i-already-submitted-it-and-you-r...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did efile but left out a ton of information.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is confusing to me is that it's been rejected, but I can't change anything.

It has been rejected?  You got an email telling you that?  When?  Only a small test batch of returns have been accepted/rejected by the IRS.

Oh no.  Well, now you just have to wait.  The IRS will not even begin to accept or reject 2018 returns until January 28.  Since you e-filed it, it is just sitting on a server, and you cannot do one thing to fix your mistake.  You cannot cancel it, stop it, or change it.

If you get lucky and they reject your return, you will be able to correct your mistake and re-submit it with the corrections.  If it is accepted, then your real wait begins.  You will have to wait until it is fully processed--which will take at least a month, then you will have to prepare an amended return called a 1040X which you print, sign and mail to the IRS.  It cannot be e-filed.  It takes the IRS about 4 months to process an amended return.  IF you are getting a refund from that amended return, they will mail a check (no direct deposits for amended returns).

Meanwhile, do NOT try to change anything on your tax return.  If you do, you will make a big mess for yourself and it will be even harder to sort out.  Sit tight and see what the IRS does with your return in a few weeks.  Post back here for help when you know whether it was accepted or rejected.  You will get an email after January 28 telling you if your return was accepted or rejected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. What a mess. Don't do it on the iphone app. It's a disaster.

Agree.  The screen is too small for something so important to get right.  Use an actual computer with a full screen.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received a notice saying that my taxes were “rejected” and I’m wondering if this has come from the IRS or TurboTax. It’s asking me to fix it. What I want to do is start over with a separate account that I used last year with the corrected amounts. This is a 2500 mistake. It’s really upsetting. I’m really starting to wonder if I should go to a tax place instead of TurboTax. Really upsetting.

The email comes from TT--but the rejection came from the IRS.
mrhrdgr

So I pressed the submit button. It transmitted. It told me that my taxes were "rejected" and then asks me to "fix" my taxes by entering some information. I'm wondering if I'm waiting to resubmit for no reason and I should go ahead and switch accounts and submit with the old one. I'm very confused on this.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies