thenaturalpetvet

I used TT online for 2016 return but didn't list my 1st quart 2016 est. tax payment. What steps do I take to amend 2016 using the download (online amending not available)

i had a tax professional help with 2015's return and when using TT online to prepare my 2016 return, I did not include the first estimated tax payment I had made in Jan 2017. I have already submitted my 2016 return and received my refund - amending online no longer possible. I now have the TT download to prepare my 1040X amended 2016 form but am confused about the steps to take to amend my return to include the Jan 2016 payment. 

Once you download & install the amendment program you will be able to open the filed return ...

As soon as you sign in to your TurboTax Online account you should see a link that says "Download your .tax file." If you don't see that, the instructions in the following FAQ should work.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900748-how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-in-turbotax-online

Then start the amendment process and follow the interview to add the missing payment (which the IRS usually catches and adds to your refund but if they didn't you will need to amend).... 

Enter any federal, state or local estimated tax payments you’ve made under Estimates, in the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section. You'll find this section in Deductions & Credits under either the Federal Taxes tab or the Personal tab, depending on the product. For a shortcut, type “estimates paid” in the search box and use the “Jump to” link.

Your state and local tax payments are automatically transferred to your state return. We’ll also use them to determine whether you’d benefit from itemized deductions, instead of a standard deduction.