niemiers

I used the amend a return option but never filed the initial return. Can I file electronically since it's not really amended?

TomD8

The deadline for e-filing a 2016 return has passed.  You'll have to print, sign, and mail in your return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

If you now have a 1040X amended return you do not file that.  You need to delete the amended return and try to get back to the original return which is tricky.  So I would just start completely over now and do a new original return.

Online is only good for the current year 2017 so you have to buy the Desktop CD/Download program here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/    

Or you can get the blank forms from the IRS and do them by hand.  Either way you will have to print and mail prior year returns.  And send each year in a separate envelope so the IRS doesn't miss any.

If you want to try to fix your existing return, here's how to finish a prior year online return     https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb...