I used ITIN for one of my kids without knowing that i will not be eligible for CTC. I have now received SSN for my kid. Can I amend my returns to get CTC now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Maybe.  There is a new tax law that says you can't get the child tax credit unless you file an on-time return with the SSN.  You generally can't amend later after you have the SSN.  However, if you file the amended return before April 15, it might still be considered "on time."  That gives you 3 days to get it in the mail.  I would get proof of mailing and a tracking number to prove you mailed it on or before April 15.

Thanks for your answer. I filed using TurboTax online and have already received refund as well. Considering that the deadline had still not reached, can i amend online or is it too late since I have received refund already?

Any amended return must be printed and mailed, it can't be filed electronically.  You can use the online program (where you already filed) to generate the amended return but you must print and mail it.

I don't know if you will get the additional refund if you mail the amended return by April 15, I'm not clear on that part of the law.  You definitely won't get any additional refund if you mail the amended return after April 15.  It would seem to me that a chance for a $1500 additional refund is worth $7.35 for a flat rate priority mail envelope.