I took the American Opportunity Credit on 2017 return but IRS says I couldn't that I need to file an amendment and take the Lifetime learning credit. How do I do this?

which version, and are you using Desktop or online?

online. I just downloaded the 2017 amendment software.

2017 was filed last year. I haven't started 2018 yet. the menu on the left hand side doesn't show federal...it wants me to start a new return....can I do the below process anyway?

are you talking about 2017 or 2018?  If you filed in TurboTax in 2017, the return should be there.  You'll go into your 2017 return from the 2017 program.

I can't find the option. When I search on how to access the prior year return, it says I have to pay before I can see it...the only options on the left are turbotax, tax home, file an extension, intuit account and sign out.

it says welcome back and has my last years info but no option to access 2017 return.

did you sign in using your username and password?

Since you've already filed 2017, but I don't know where you are in the process, I've attached instructions for the entire process.

After you finish this step, you'll go to this section to change your AOC to Lifetime:

1.  Click Federal on the left-hand side menu.

2.  Click Deductions & Credits across the top.

3.  Scroll down to Education and click Show more.

4.  Click Start or Revisit by Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T).

The difference between the two credits will be reported on your 1040X.