turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year we filed separately. Do I put the total from both our 1040s for a state refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

Last year we filed separately. Do I put the total from both our 1040s for a state refund?

I think your question relates to you and your spouse's 2015 separately filed tax returns and including the state tax refunds from both on your 2016 married filing jointly tax return. If you and your spouse did not itemize your deductions on Schedule A of your 2015 tax return last year, and instead took the Standard Deduction, you will not have to include your 1099-G's state tax refunds on your jointly filed 2016 tax return.  If both of you did itemize, the state tax refund is taxable and you will want to follow these steps to include you and your spouse's 1099-G on your married jointly filed tax return:

If you have received a 1099-G for a state income tax refund, please follow these instructions:

• Open up your tax return in Turbotax

• Click “pick up where I left off

• In the search box at the top right of your screen type “1099-G” and this page should appear:

Where do I enter a 1099-G for a state/local refund?  

• Click the blue box “Go to 1099-G” and carefully answer all of the questions regarding your state income tax refund. 

When adding a second 1099-G click the line that reads "Add another state or local tax refund".

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SeanE1

I think your question relates to you and your spouse's 2015 separately filed tax returns and including the state tax refunds from both on your 2016 married filing jointly tax return. If you and your spouse did not itemize your deductions on Schedule A of your 2015 tax return last year, and instead took the Standard Deduction, you will not have to include your 1099-G's state tax refunds on your jointly filed 2016 tax return.  If both of you did itemize, the state tax refund is taxable and you will want to follow these steps to include you and your spouse's 1099-G on your married jointly filed tax return:

If you have received a 1099-G for a state income tax refund, please follow these instructions:

• Open up your tax return in Turbotax

• Click “pick up where I left off

• In the search box at the top right of your screen type “1099-G” and this page should appear:

Where do I enter a 1099-G for a state/local refund?  

• Click the blue box “Go to 1099-G” and carefully answer all of the questions regarding your state income tax refund. 

When adding a second 1099-G click the line that reads "Add another state or local tax refund".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies