turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On the turbotax website it said my tax return was accepted on 1/29/19 but on the irs website it's not showing that it has been accepted yet and it's now 2/12/19

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

On the turbotax website it said my tax return was accepted on 1/29/19 but on the irs website it's not showing that it has been accepted yet and it's now 2/12/19

I think what you are looking for on the IRS website is that your refund is "approved''. Accepted means they accepted the transmission of your return. The acceptance just checks basic information to make sure the return is actually yours. The approval is once the actual return is checked and all the information & calculations are correct, then you get a notice that your refund was approved.  If you are able to log-on and track your refund then it has been accepted. To make sure,first, please go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/ to check your efile status. If you confirm that your return has in fact been efiled and accepted, then proceed to www.irs.gov/refunds to track your refund.

To use the IRS tool correctly, you must wait 24-48 hours after filing and being accepted to check the status of your refund. Please make sure you are entering the exact amount of your refund as shown on your federal tax return.

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 20a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 73a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 23a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.

Additionally, be certain you are choosing the correct filing status.

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Filing Status is shown on the top of the form above your name and social security number.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 6
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 2
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1

Additionally, if you claimed the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS will begin issuing tax refunds on these returns on February 27, 2019 per the rules of the PATH act. If this applies to you, you may not see an update until late February. For more information on the PATH act and tracking your refund, please see the TurboTax FAQs below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5340655

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5556415

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

I think what you are looking for on the IRS website is that your refund is "approved''. Accepted means they accepted the transmission of your return. The acceptance just checks basic information to make sure the return is actually yours. The approval is once the actual return is checked and all the information & calculations are correct, then you get a notice that your refund was approved.  If you are able to log-on and track your refund then it has been accepted. To make sure,first, please go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/ to check your efile status. If you confirm that your return has in fact been efiled and accepted, then proceed to www.irs.gov/refunds to track your refund.

To use the IRS tool correctly, you must wait 24-48 hours after filing and being accepted to check the status of your refund. Please make sure you are entering the exact amount of your refund as shown on your federal tax return.

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 20a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 73a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 23a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.

Additionally, be certain you are choosing the correct filing status.

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Filing Status is shown on the top of the form above your name and social security number.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 6
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 2
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1

Additionally, if you claimed the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS will begin issuing tax refunds on these returns on February 27, 2019 per the rules of the PATH act. If this applies to you, you may not see an update until late February. For more information on the PATH act and tracking your refund, please see the TurboTax FAQs below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5340655

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5556415

No that's not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to see why turbotax has my refund as ACCEPTED and irs doesn't even show it being accepted. Not approved, only that it has been accepted.
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Did you confirm that it shows efiled at the link I posted? When does the link show it was accepted, if it was? Did you confirm the information you are entering is correct, and if it is, what happens when you enter the information at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/refunds">www.irs.gov/refunds</a> ?

Yes on the Turbotax website it shows e-file and accepted, but on the irs website it doesn't show its been accepted yet.
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

When you enter your information, does it take you to a second screen asking you to enter the date you filed the return or does it take you to a second screen giving you a message with your information on the left hand side? If it shows you a message, can you copy and paste it here?

My information is on the left
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Okay, that means it was received, now can you copy and paste the message you see on screen?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies