Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I submitted my taxes but realized i made a mistake

I filed my taxes then realized that I didn't enter what I had paid in school income taxes. Do I have to amend the whole return?
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

I submitted my taxes but realized i made a mistake

It is best to wait until your return is accepted before amending your return.  If it is rejected for any reason, you can make the changes when the return comes back.  If the return is accepted, you can go in and make the change in TurboTax.  There is no fee for the amendment but you will need to mail in the amendment to the address which will print with the return, as the IRS will not accept them as an e-file.

Here is a link to check the status of your TurboTax e-file.

Click here to look up your TurboTax e-file status

Here is a TurboTax FAQ with step-by-step instructions for amending your return.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings