mmpainting017

I sent a 1040x amended return to the IRS by certified male. Their website states, "received and processing" for its statues. They sent the form 1040x back to me. Why?

There was no explanation why they returned it. They even sent back the envelope I mailed it in stapled to the 1040x form.

Did you send a 1040 X with nothing else? Or did you send an entire complete tax return, plus the form 1040 X which summarizes the changes and ask as a cover sheet.

Did you forget to sign it?
mmpainting017

I sent the 1040x stapled to the rest of the original return and they sent it back the exact same way with a stamp on the front stating, "received 1648, IRS Austin Texas" and it had my original envelope that I mailed it in stapled to the back of it.
mmpainting017

It was all signed and dated properly.
Lisa995

It should have had another page along with the return that said what was missing.

"stapled to the rest of the original return"

You wouldn't have sent the ORIGINAL return along with it (they already have that), you should have sent all the forms that changed from making the amended changes.

Are you sure the original return was accepted?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

On the amended return was there anything in column B?
mmpainting017

Yes it was accepted (the original return) and turnbo tax told me what to send for the amendment. So its not the paperwork. I guess you don't know the answer either but, I thank you for trying to help me figure it out. They should have sent an explanation. I will try calling them although it will take an act of Congress to get through to a human being.
fanfare

when IRS returns 1040X, there is a form with various errors listed and your problems marked with a checkmark.
Maybe that was omitted when IRS sent it back to you.
OR look again for that form.

If nothing, try assembling and resubmitting.
See instructions for Form 1040X at www.irs.gov
fanfare

1040X will be returned if IRS does not have your original form 1040.

If the original return was successfully efiled then you must wait for it to be fully processed before you send in any amended returns  ... sounds like you jumped the gun so the amended return was rejected.