Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received notice today from the IRS that there is no Social Security listed in the 2015 return. How did this happen? Now I owe some $3,000 more taxes including penalty and interest.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

I received notice today from the IRS that there is no Social Security listed in the 2015 return. How did this happen? Now I owe some $3,000 more taxes including penalty and interest.

Do not just send the IRS any money without first contacting them about this notice. I would get a local CPA involved unless you feel like you are comfortable in dealing with the IRS on a personal level. The IRS is actually quite helpful and empathetic to taxpayers. I'd go back to your 2015 income tax return and see if the Social Security income was included or not. If it was not included on the tax return, then there is little you can do except pay the taxes that would have been paid had the income been included on the 2015 tax return to begin with. The IRS is an extremely patient and understanding organization. That being said, any penalty they assess can be abated (reduced or eliminated entirely) but it will have to be shown to the IRS that you did not intentionally leave this income off your tax return. There is an IRS webpage that lists all the reasons why they will or will not abate the penalty, but it is lengthy and boring (this is why I suggested getting a local CPA).

The website is: https://www.irs.gov/irm/

In particular, you wanna look in Part 20 Penalty and Interest (20.1.2.1.4.1 (07-18-2016) Penalty Abatements and Re-assessments)

If you find that the Social Security income was included and that the IRS is incorrect in their assessment, you must communicate this to the IRS. Provide them any documents that help to prove your position. The key here is to contact and communicate with the IRS as soon as possible to keep this from getting any messier.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PeterM

Do not just send the IRS any money without first contacting them about this notice. I would get a local CPA involved unless you feel like you are comfortable in dealing with the IRS on a personal level. The IRS is actually quite helpful and empathetic to taxpayers. I'd go back to your 2015 income tax return and see if the Social Security income was included or not. If it was not included on the tax return, then there is little you can do except pay the taxes that would have been paid had the income been included on the 2015 tax return to begin with. The IRS is an extremely patient and understanding organization. That being said, any penalty they assess can be abated (reduced or eliminated entirely) but it will have to be shown to the IRS that you did not intentionally leave this income off your tax return. There is an IRS webpage that lists all the reasons why they will or will not abate the penalty, but it is lengthy and boring (this is why I suggested getting a local CPA).

The website is: https://www.irs.gov/irm/

In particular, you wanna look in Part 20 Penalty and Interest (20.1.2.1.4.1 (07-18-2016) Penalty Abatements and Re-assessments)

If you find that the Social Security income was included and that the IRS is incorrect in their assessment, you must communicate this to the IRS. Provide them any documents that help to prove your position. The key here is to contact and communicate with the IRS as soon as possible to keep this from getting any messier.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies