daniel5

I received and filed a 1098-T for Tax year 2015 and I have received the same 1098-T for Tax year 2016. Should I file it again?

MiriamF

Are you certain that it is the same 1098-T? Or does it simply report that your expenses were the same for both years?

If you were a student in 2016, and you received a 1098-T from the school you attended, and the information sounds reasonable to you, then go ahead and include the form on your 2016 return.

If you weren't a student, or are certain that your expenses were different, don't report the information on this form. Contact the school to get a corrected form, or report on your return what you know to be true, based on other information the school has sent you. The last thing you need is to have to repay a credit based on erroneous information.

MiriamF

daniel5

I am 100% certain that it is the same one. The 1098-T was for tuition paid in 2015 for school year 2016. The amounts reported for tuition paid were the same on both 1098-T.
MiriamF

That is truly weird. However, you are responsible for the correct interpretation of this document. If you weren't a student and don't believe you are eligible for a credit, then don't report it on your tax return. You have no obligation to report erroneous information; in fact, it could get you into trouble.