turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marevalo

I received an amended w2 after filing 2017 return. Box 12a amount for DD was the only change. Do I need to file an amended return?

My husband and I filed jointed and work for same the employer.  Box 12a DD for hubby was changed from $25,540.80 to $6,385.20.  For myself it changed from $29,136.16 to $7,284.04.  At the time I filed on 1/22/17 the w2s were imported on the TurboTax online service.  The amended w2 occurred today through APD.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I received an amended w2 after filing 2017 return. Box 12a amount for DD was the only change. Do I need to file an amended return?

There is no reason to amend for this purpose.   Fear not—this amount is simply the total cost of the employee's health insurance coverage paid by both the employee and the employer, and it is not taxable.

If you itemized deductions and used the medical expense category for any "after tax" health insurance payments, you would have included only amounts you actually paid.  Again, this should not cause any reason for an amendment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

There is no reason to amend for this purpose.   Fear not—this amount is simply the total cost of the employee's health insurance coverage paid by both the employee and the employer, and it is not taxable.

If you itemized deductions and used the medical expense category for any "after tax" health insurance payments, you would have included only amounts you actually paid.  Again, this should not cause any reason for an amendment.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies