turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ashleyr85

I received a letter from the IRS saying I owe 2559 from 2015. If I file an ammended return will that remedy the situation or do I need to pay it regardless?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I received a letter from the IRS saying I owe 2559 from 2015. If I file an ammended return will that remedy the situation or do I need to pay it regardless?

If you believe that the IRS is in error in its assessment of additional tax, you should respond to the letter, stating in detail the reasons for your disagreement and the tax result that you believe is correct. That may be done in a letter, supported with lists or schedules. If you think that an amended return would best illustrate your tax position, you may certainly prepare one and attach it to your response to the letter you have received.

Do not simply file an amended return without responding to the letter from the IRS.

If you know that you owe additional tax, even if you disagree with the IRS as to the exact amount, it is in your best interest to pay what you owe as soon as possible. The IRS will continue to accrue penalties and interest on the unpaid tax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

If you believe that the IRS is in error in its assessment of additional tax, you should respond to the letter, stating in detail the reasons for your disagreement and the tax result that you believe is correct. That may be done in a letter, supported with lists or schedules. If you think that an amended return would best illustrate your tax position, you may certainly prepare one and attach it to your response to the letter you have received.

Do not simply file an amended return without responding to the letter from the IRS.

If you know that you owe additional tax, even if you disagree with the IRS as to the exact amount, it is in your best interest to pay what you owe as soon as possible. The IRS will continue to accrue penalties and interest on the unpaid tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies