turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cuevasj

I received a letter CP2000 from IRS for tax year 2015 - What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

You need to review the notice and make sure whether you agree or disagree with the letter. CP2000 letters are sent when the IRS finds that there was a 1099, W2, or 1098 that they received which doesn't agree with the income or deductions reported on your return.

See the following from IRS - Understanding Your CP2000:

What you need to do
  • Read your notice carefully—it explains the information we received and how it affects your tax return.
  • Complete the notice response form whether or not you agree or disagree with the notice, the response form explains what actions to take. (Your specific notice may not have a response form. In that case, the notice will have instructions on what to do).
  • Contact the business or person reporting the information, if it is wrong. Ask them to correct it, and then provide the corrected information to us.
You may want to…

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Phillip1

You need to review the notice and make sure whether you agree or disagree with the letter. CP2000 letters are sent when the IRS finds that there was a 1099, W2, or 1098 that they received which doesn't agree with the income or deductions reported on your return.

See the following from IRS - Understanding Your CP2000:

What you need to do
  • Read your notice carefully—it explains the information we received and how it affects your tax return.
  • Complete the notice response form whether or not you agree or disagree with the notice, the response form explains what actions to take. (Your specific notice may not have a response form. In that case, the notice will have instructions on what to do).
  • Contact the business or person reporting the information, if it is wrong. Ask them to correct it, and then provide the corrected information to us.
You may want to…
k89438633

if i received a CP2000 to correct my federal tax returns from last year, should i also fix my state taxes?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies