bbmarion

I received a corrected 1099 after receiving my refund. The error is in the IRS favor. Do I need to file an amended retrun?

The error was on the cost basis for an ETF, which showed a negative $13.90 that was not on the original document.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DianeW

No, you are not required to amend your return for a difference that produces an additional refund for you, based on your circumstances.  As long as all of your sale proceeds were recorded and offset by the cost basis you do not need to amend. The IRS looks for the income on the return, they don't try to match cost basis.

Maintain the documents for your tax file should you need that in the future.

DianeW