turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year 2016: I received a 1099-R after I already filed my taxes, what should I do?

I filed for 2016 already thinking all I had for 2016 was my w2. However, I just received a 1099-R in the mail. It's not much money & it hadn't even crossed my mind that I would need to report this. It's less than $500 and the amount with held was about $90. Should I report this? If so, how do I change my what I have already filed (it's been approved already). Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Tax Year 2016: I received a 1099-R after I already filed my taxes, what should I do?

Yes, you will want to amend your return to make sure you get the proper credit for income and taxes withheld. Once your return has been submitted for e-file, you cannot make any changes until it is either Accepted or Rejected.  The IRS will not receive the change.  

Sine your Return is accepted, you will file a new amended return. Amending is done on Form 1040X.  Also, if your return is accepted, you should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return.

How to Amend?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

How do i correct this oversite

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You will have to amend your return to add the 1099-R that you just received. The amended 1040-X can be filed.  This form is not ready to be filed with the IRS. You can check this to see when it is available. The form is expected to be ready on 2/16/2023. 

Here is a TurboTax Tax Tip about amending your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies