turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yelson21
Returning Member

I posted the wrong amount of my stimulus amount by mistake. Will the IRS correct it and adjust the refund amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I posted the wrong amount of my stimulus amount by mistake. Will the IRS correct it and adjust the refund amount?

If you have already filed your return you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. 

• If your return gets rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return (1040X) and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.

Please see the links below when Form 1040X is available:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yelson21
Returning Member

It says acepted on my turbo tax.does it mean that the irs accepted it?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it means that they accepted it.   However, you need to wait until it is processed and you receive your refund to know if the IRS has adjusted anything.   The amendment form is not going to be ready until late March, so you would be able to do an amendment until then anyway.   So, what and see what they send you and then go from there.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yelson21
Returning Member

Thank you 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies