turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid quarterly estimated taxes in 2016, but noticed after filing they were classified as 2015. I paid them all that day in one lump sum. Do I need to file an amendment?

If I have to pay a further penalty for not making the 2016 payments quarterly, is there any way to appeal this decision as I made the payments in good faith, I just used the wrong year since I had just finished my 2015 return at the time.  I used the EFTPS system for payments.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyT

I paid quarterly estimated taxes in 2016, but noticed after filing they were classified as 2015. I paid them all that day in one lump sum. Do I need to file an amendment?

You may need to contact the IRS to have the payments made through EFTPS applied to the correct year in their system.

If you have filed your 2016 tax return reporting the estimated payments made, you do not need to file an amendment.  Additionally, if you paid all of your estimates in one lump sum at the beginning of the year (on or before the April 15 deadline for the first payment), there will be no penalties assessed.

The best way to contact the IRS (if you are able to do so) is to use your local IRS branch.  Please see this website (https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/contact-your-local-irs-office) for more informaiton about online services or to locate your local IRS office.

If you are unable to get to your local IRS office, you can contact EFTPS customer service at 800-555-4477.

kahomada

You can only change the year of a payment if it's the first estimated payment you've made, and you contact them right away.  Otherwise, you're out of luck.
Manage cookies