brewery15

I owe the IRS back taxes but wheres my refund says I still get my refund

I owe the IRS approximately $2,600 in back taxes but when I go to wheres my refund, it says that my refund has been approved and will be sent to my bank on March 11th.  How is this possible?  I thought they would keep my refund to pay some of that off?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

FredM1

Yes they will deduct from your refund the amount you owe them for back taxes, even if their page is showing that you will receive your refund on a certain date. They will then send you a letter within 2 weeks explaining why they deducted your taxes and what you can do if you do not agree with their decision. I have attached a link to an article that I think will be very helpful in your situation.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Taxes-101/Who-Can-Garnish-an-Income-Tax-Refund-/INF19...

FredM1