Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I never received my second stimulus payment because the IRS sent it to a closed checking account and th bank returned it to the IRS. I called the IRS and was told that I need to apply for the stimulus payment by completing a Rebate Recovery form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I never received my second stimulus payment because the IRS sent it to a closed checking account and th bank returned it to the IRS. I called the IRS and was told that I need to apply for the stimulus payment by completing a Rebate Recovery form?

That is correct.  Stimulus payments were advances on the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

If you didn't receive the full amount for your first or second-round stimulus payments, we'll help you claim the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your taxes this year.

We'll make sure you get the money you qualify for by double-checking the amount and quantity of stimulus payments you received.

Here’s how:

• Enter all of your federal return information as you would normally. During the Federal Review, we’ll check if you meet eligibility requirements for the stimulus payment. If you meet the requirements, you'll see a Did you get a first or second stimulus? screen. We'll ask a few questions about any payments you've already received and then let you know if the Recovery Rebate Credit applies.
    • If you need to make any changes to your stimulus credit responses, search for stimulus and select the jump-to link at the top of the search results to return back to the section. Enter your updated info and Continue.

For additional information, see  How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

That is correct.  Stimulus payments were advances on the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

If you didn't receive the full amount for your first or second-round stimulus payments, we'll help you claim the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your taxes this year.

We'll make sure you get the money you qualify for by double-checking the amount and quantity of stimulus payments you received.

Here’s how:

• Enter all of your federal return information as you would normally. During the Federal Review, we’ll check if you meet eligibility requirements for the stimulus payment. If you meet the requirements, you'll see a Did you get a first or second stimulus? screen. We'll ask a few questions about any payments you've already received and then let you know if the Recovery Rebate Credit applies.
    • If you need to make any changes to your stimulus credit responses, search for stimulus and select the jump-to link at the top of the search results to return back to the section. Enter your updated info and Continue.

For additional information, see  How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies