turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dalev3

I need to file an amended Virginia state return. According to the Virginia Tax website amended returns can be E-filed. My desktop Turbo Tax will not allow me to do that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

I need to file an amended Virginia state return. According to the Virginia Tax website amended returns can be E-filed. My desktop Turbo Tax will not allow me to do that.

Amended returns must be filed by mail when using TurboTax. On the Virginia tax website it says to follow the instructions based on the provider you used. I am including instructions below on how to file an amended return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6602208

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Amended returns must be filed by mail when using TurboTax. On the Virginia tax website it says to follow the instructions based on the provider you used. I am including instructions below on how to file an amended return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6602208

I do not think this applies to 2020 and beyond.  Same question, how can I e-file Virginia?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Help with correctly amending your return has been provided by clicking here.

I have followed your link’s procedure exactly and it skips the state submission entirely.  Virginia allows E-filing of amended tax forms.  The software only files federal.   I was told to wait for a software update.  Is this correct?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact TurboTax customer care. Assistance with doing so has been provided by clicking here.

Additionally, you can file your amended federal.  

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Here are two links that will tell you the TurboTax Expected Availability dates for 1) Federal forms

TurboTax Expected Availability Dates for Federal Forms

and 2) State forms:

TurboTax Expected Availability of State Forms

The Virginia amended return is filed on Form 760, the same as the regular return.

The federal 1040X is now available.  You may need to update your software.  

[Edited 03/28/2021|07:35 pm pst]

Thank you.  However, my amended Virginia return does not include any unsupported forms within the list.  When I try to e-file my TurboTax software on Mac only lets me file federal and skips over the state amended return.   I have updated my software to the latest.  I have had a rep share my screen and it will not e-file or give an option to a Virginia State amended form.   Please help.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to print and mail your amended state return because e-filing is not available for your state's amended returns.

Can I e-file my amended state return?

Here are instructions to print and mail your return.

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online...

jpicco

If submitting amended return Turbotax will e-file Federal but skips over Virginia e-file process.  Can you please confirm it has to be printed and mailed.  

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

You should be able to Efile your Virginia Amended Return.  Since we can't see your return in this forum, I would suggest you step through your Virginia amended return again.

Click this link for more info from Virginia Tax. 

Ra1-Buda

I can't locate the attached instructions.  Please direct me to the instructions, or provide hereon.

Thx

V/r

RR

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies