turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

I need to edit my deductions on my tax return

I am able to claim my daughter now and I can’t get screen to let me edit my rejected claim
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Would you like to view more questions that might be relevant?
3 Replies

I need to edit my deductions on my tax return

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/


When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2022 online tax return.  Click on My Info and then add the dependent.

You will have to print and mail your tax return since another e-filed tax return was accepted by the IRS with the dependent Social Security number.


See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

I need to edit my deductions on my tax return

Why did it reject?  If your daughter filed her own return or someone else claimed her you still won't be able to efile even if they amend.  You might have to mail your return to claim her.


 Click on Add a State to let you back into your return. 

I need to edit my deductions on my tax return

If your e-file was rejected because your dependent filed a return that said they could not be claimed, then even if they amended, you cannot e-file this time.   That duplicate SSN will stay in the system for the rest of the year.  It will not update any time soon even if she amended.   The only way you can file and claim her as a dependent is to file your own return by mail.


When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies