harry4

I need to amend my 2014 tax return. I was married then and filed jointly. Now I'm divorced; can I make these amendments now without his signatures and information?

How do I make an amendment to prior year returns if I had filed jointly and am now divorced? I never depreciated my rental property so am wanting to make that adjustment since it will likely decrease my tax liability.

You need to see an accountant.  First, would you need his signature, and second, there are other issues about retroactive depreciation that make it more complicated than it seems.  There is also a form you may be able to file this year to correct the depreciation issue without amending any prior returns, but that form is too complicated and esoteric for most non-accountants.

You need his signature.